The Waitutu land and Lodge is administered by the Waitutu Incorporation and comprises 5365.68125 acres of Maori Land, covered in dense virgin podocarp forest. The land was issued under the Landless Natives Act 1906, as compensation for land taken by the Crown to sell to European settlers, and is known as SILNA land (South Island Landless Natives Act).
In 1972, the owners of 23 sections in the Waitutu area formed the Incorporation to administer the land as one block, and there are now approximately 850 owners.
In 1996, the Crown granted the Incorporation cutting rights over Beech production forest, in exchange for the conservation of the Waitutu forest. The land and forest still remains in Maori ownership, and is managed in conjunction with the Fiordland National Park.